Friday, August 25, 2006

The Debate!

The stage was set. Anticipation was at its pinnacle. The pressure was mounting; my nerves were pulsating wildly as I tried to stay my trembling hands. I tried to focus, to find clarity and serenity, but it eluded me as my mind returned to the concept of failure. I cringed as I thought of the prospect.

The expertly navigated 4 wheel drive entered Altona; immediately, the curling, toxic smoke which filled the air caused me to reel back in horror. The industrial setting clashing with the urban environment created a stark contrast. I did not notice this at the time; my mind was consumed with other things.

We came to a slow stop in the carpark opposite Mt. St. Joseph's. We exited the vehicle, and tread the black road in the dark of night until we reached the entrance. We found our room, and waited.

***

As their third speakers bitchy rant drew to a much-awaited close, the adjudicator, who was obviously a little slow and thick, pondered over the decision. The affirmative team, me, Lorence, and Aniket, as well as Nick and Trung in the audience, all reflected in unison upon the matters of the debate. It seemed all too close; I attempted, boldy if I must admit, to do an entirely unscripted rebuttal. I'd written poor nit-pickings on palm cards, which were illegible, so I decided to "go with the flow" and just wing it. I did better than I expected.
Aniket, who was first speaker, spoke with confidence and conviction; I commend him for his dignified speech. He was much more enjoyable than all three of the Lowther Hall skanks, whose dull manner and unfounded arguments caused me to nearly fall asleep. Lorence, who'd worked like a dog up until this point, was overwhelmingly comprehensive in his speech, to the point where he couldn't communicate his points properly; we could understand his points, but unfortunately, the thick adjudicator couldn't make it out. So in the end, we sat perched upon the edge of our seats and waited...

"I've awarded this debate to... The negative team." Five hearts were broken in an instant, five dreams of grandeur were shattered and torn and five spirits were crushed. The great five; the greatest team to ever live, was eliminated. For shame, Lowther Hall. For shame!