Friday, August 11, 2006

The Burn of Blog Addiction

I often liken my addiction to blogging as a flame or a candle; at first, it burns brightly, your posts are frequent, and it's always a thrill. It's rewarding and engaging, makes you think, and provokes feelings. But like a flame, if it's starved of oxygen (oxygen being a metaphor for readers) then it will die out. It will fade, flickering in the wind, and eventually, as the posts become few and far between, it will become extinguished. Right now, the I'm still feeling the burn; I'm still addicted to this blog, and have found continuing sources of content (although I'm not sure if it's quality content). I promoted my blog like mad, and for a while it worked; the comments were coming thick and fast. But as I came to rely more and more on videos and articles I'd found on other sites, the river of comments became a meagre trickle. I don't know if it's just me as a blogger, but I can't survive without comments; it's reassurance, and without it, I become insecure about what I'm writing. I'm wondering, what am I doing wrong? I've had a couple blogs in the past, and with both of them I experienced this travesty. I'm hoping, with support from readers, I can continue to update this blog daily, as I have done so far. Yet still, over the past few days, I've only had a couple of comments on what I've written. I've surfed other blogs, and found that posts that are not that much more superior to mine have a plethora of feedback from readers. Is it a lack of readers my blog suffers from? Or is it a lack of quality?