Monday, July 31, 2006

How often should I post?


Infrequent posting often causes the demise of many a blog; there's not enough content to get people interested, and if there were any regular, active readers, they'll most likely become disinterested. But some people think that if your posts are too close together, then most of the content you'll end up with on your blog will be junk, and that'll cause people to lose interest. So what's the magic formula? Is there an amount that's just right, that'll strike the perfect equilibrium between quantity and quality? Right now, I've been posting several times a day; and a lot of it is junk. I'm a bit of a blogging junkie. I put up all kinds of media I find. You know, videos, even a couple podcasts I thought you might like. But I think this is too frequent; my blog is becoming filled with clutter which is as much other peoples' work as my own, and my good stuff is being lost in the archives. This is the focal problem with frequent posting; if you restricted your blogging to the relevant, meaningful posts (not like a lot of my stuff) and post maybe twice a week you'll probably build up a readership. That's probably a successful formula, but I'm not quite sure what people like; lots of content they can dig through, or infrequent, meaningful content. Do they want to gorge, or to sample? Drop me a line at: jamesritchie@gmail.com and tell me your thoughts, or leave a comment.