Friday, July 14, 2006

Debate: "Should Australian parents be able to choose the gender of their children?"

As I've mentioned before, I'm a member of the school debating team. We're actually number 1 on the ladder right now, and if we win this, we have locked a place for us in the finals.

We're missing a core member of the unit (he's off to New Caledonia on a school trip) so we've had one of the support crew fill in for him. He's never debated before, so I hope he can fit in Lorence's giant boots (I think he's part gorilla).

The debate is in a few days time, and I haven't written my speech yet. I'm probably going to have
to write most of the fill-in's speech as well, so I better get cracking. Here's a little snippet of what I have so far:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to begin by stating that our society is based around the concept of religion and faith. From the ancient Greeks to the modern day Indians, in one way or another, the concept of a greater being has influenced the way humanity has been shaped. Even though we cannot confirm the existence of a sole being we call God, we can certainly appreciate the way the concept of a great, divine creator has swayed the way of life for mankind. And one of the ideas that is synonymous with this God, is that the pattern of life is not determined by human hands, but by nature. This is where this practice of gender based child selection is defying the very fabric of the human condition."

So if any of you out there have an opinion on this topic, please help me out by posting a comment.